Consumer Complaints Regulations


Important information – Consumer Complaints


Consumer protection and advocacy is an integral part of CRAN’s mandate. CRAN launched Namibia’s first-ever National Consumer Advocacy and Protection Campaign on 16 May 2013. The Regulator works to ensure that consumers receive the full benefits of competitive electronic communication services, and are protected from any exploitation or abuse. CRAN has implemented a streamlined complaints handling system in accordance with the Communications Act (No. 8 of 2009). For more information about the complaints handling procedures, see the list below:


What to do before lodging a complaint with CRAN?


  • Remember to first lodge your complaint with the service provider and give the service provider 14 days to try and adequately resolve the matter;
  • It is highly recommended that you keep all correspondence with the respective service provider in writing;
  • It is advisable that consumers study and understand the Regulations regarding procedures for the Adjudication of Disputes (available at CRAN); and
  • Collect the relevant documents and other forms of materials considered as evidence.



Requirements when lodging a complaint to CRAN


  • If it is believed that the service provider did not adequately resolve the complaint within the stipulated 14 days, a complaint may be filed with CRAN;
  • The complaint must be submitted on the stipulated Form A, complaint form;
  • The customer complaints form is available on CRAN’s website, at CRAN’s offices or on request;
  • The complaint must include the following:
  1. Full name and contact details;
  2. The name of the person/entity against whom the complaint is being lodged, or if the name of the person is unknown, provide as many identifying details as available in order to assist in identifying the person;
  3. An accurate and concise statement of the fact/s demonstrating that the person/s the complaint is lodged against acted wrongly;
  4. A clear and concise statement of the specific solution/s required; and
  5. Any other relevant information.


What type of complaints may be placed?


Complaints may include, but shall not be limited to complaints involving the following:

  • Billing;
  • Charges and refunds;
  • Service and product delivery;
  • Customer service and treatment;
  • Service interruptions and dropped calls;
  • Failure to provide or repair telecommunications equipment and internet service;
  • Interconnection problems;
  • Delays in repairing and connecting service to customers;
  • Internet access contracts;
  • Advertisement by radio and television broadcasters;
  • Broadcasting content;
  • Reception or signal of broadcasting; and
  • Complaints relating to postal services.


Lodging a complaint with a service provider


  • By law, consumers are first required to try and resolve the problem directly with the service provider before contacting CRAN;
  • The service provider has 14 days (day one being the day the complaint is first registered) to try and resolve the problem;
  • Lodge the complaint with the relevant senior representative of the service provider;
  • Make sure to request the full name and job title of a senior representative;
  • Make sure to keep record/s of the following: key discussion points, times and dates of conversations; and
  • Make sure that a reference number is allocated.

Consumer Complaint Form


In terms of Regulation 4 of the Regulations regarding procedures for the Adjudication of Disputes, complaints must be submitted on this form:





Report Form


In terms of Regulation 8(3) of the Regulations regarding procedures for the Adjudication of Disputes as amended, service providers must annually, by not later than 31 January (for the previous calendar year), submit to the Authority a Consumer Complaint Report complying substantially with Form C setting out the number of complaints:


  1. Received from customers;
  2. Resolved by the service provider; and
  3. Delivered to the Authority.

(b) A written copy of their internal complaints resolution procedures

(c) Request for Adjudication Form

(d) Reconsideration Form